Saturday 19 July 2008

A question for my Hungarian friends

Hi everyone,

I am finally able to begin stitching this beautiful sampler. I will be honoring my grandparents who came to the US from areas surrounding Budapest. I would like to stitch the words, " In Fond Rememberance" in Hungarian. Could one of you please translate those words for me into Hungarian?

Also, I'd like to stitch the sampler in 2 colors, red, white and green to represent the colors of the Hungarian flag. I know Icurkapicurka is stitching her sampler in those colors, so Icurkapicurka, if you read this post, could you please let me know what colors you used and the type of fibers (ie. DMC, etc)? I tried to email you but you do not have a contact address.

Thank you so much for your help!

Joanie

5 comments:

morcs said...

Hi Joanie,

I suggest:

EMLÉKÜL
SZERETETTEL

This is not a word-to-word translation, but it "sounds" Hungarian.

Lányok, jöhet más javaslat is ...

Éva said...

What about:
SZERETTEIM EMLÉKÉRE - Onto the memory whom I loved.

Joanie said...

thank you both for your suggestions! You'll have to wait to see which one I decide to use!

Now, if I only could figure out what DMC colors were used for the red, green and white sampler....

Icurkapicurka said...

Hi Joanie,
I stitched my sampler with "no name" flosses, I can't say numbers in DMC or Anchor, but I compared my flosses with DMC colorcard and I recommend the 606 or 900 red, 699or 909 green and white (Blanc)DMC colors.

Icurkapicurka said...

A web translation program's suggestion is:

KEDVES EMLÉKEZETBEN

but I like better that Eva wrote.